The official weblog of the little-poetry-press-that-could, Plan B Press. Specializing in chapbooks, we have published of over 40 books from authors both local and international.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

My Own Book Purchase

The last book I purchased was a Little Golden Book for my kids: The Little Red Hen. There were other books on the rack, most of which have movie or TV tie-ins. This one was a reissue of a 1954 edition of this classic children's tale.

"Who will help me?" asked the little red hen.
"Not I," said the duck.
"Not I," said the goose.
"Not I," said the cat.
"Not I," said the pig.
"Then I will do it myself!" said the little red hen.


It's perfect for those of us who have had to deal with slackers at some point in our lives. Us puritans out there who are still bitter about someone's lazy attitude. Sure, it's not healthy to dwell, but the little red hen gets her revenge in the end, as we wish we did.

We are a company of two, so we don't deal much with slackerism. If there's a lazybones among us, we either agree to be lazy together or we try to rally the other person to work. We don't have enough employees to allow someone to endure, have fortitude, then get sweet revenge. I really wish I could pass the buck myself some times. "Not I," said the Creative Director... but then who will do it herself?

It's nice to call a business meeting over breakfast or make drastic decisions without a committee. But there's something to be said for a few little elves to help clean the shop. Can I just be the fishing cat for a while? Or the wooden sword-fighting duck?

"Who will lay out this book?"
"Who will update the website?"
"Who will assemble these books?!"

"Not I," said the Creative Director.

No comments: